Breast Cancer Community
Chemo or Not ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Chemo or Not ?

I have been diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer, Her 2  negetive, ER Positive , Tumor grade 3 ( size 2.9) , Node positve,.
I did have a Bi-lateral mascetomy and parcial node  disection, and now they suggest I have Chemo . Is it true that chemo is ineffctive for ER cancer and that Tamoxafin is better?? I am just not sure if the benifts of chemo  out way the risks of chemo on the body ??? Can someone explain this to me ?? What I have read is that the Chemo drugs that they use do  not work well on ER cancer?????
I am having difficulty believing you were told that chemo doesn't treat cancer. Hello.....

The pathology of your cancer might be estrogen positive and her2 neu negative but that doesn't have anything to do with killing cancer cells with chemo. I'd strongly suggest you do alot of research since I don't believe you understand the difference thanks to bad info. Sounds like the doctors are right on.

You have an aggressive form of cancer as evidenced by it spreading to the nodes. Chemo and radiation are for sure a good choice. Best wishes.
You also may want to research this since you are having difficulty making a decision.

www.cancer.org
www.breastcancer.com
As I stated in answer to your previous post .... Chemotherapy has absolutely NOTHING to do with the hormonal response of your tumor. Chemotherapy is used to kill any remaining cancer cells in the body. It has NOTHING to do with the fact that your tumor was dependant upon Estrogen for growth.   Regards .....
Thank you All !!!      luna 1  
I have an apt. tomorrow to put in my port and start chemo on July 2nd .
best wishes with your treatment