Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Chemotherapy and Menstrual Cycle

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Chemotherapy and Menstrual Cycle
I concluded Taxotere/Corboplatin/Herceptin treatment in April of 2010.  I am on Herceptin until the end of the year.  I am a forty year-old woman and I have experienced a cessation in my menstrual cycle.  Intercourse is very painful, even though I am using Replens.  I am still very susceptible to urinary track infections too.  My doctor suggested Lubrin, but I have been unable to find Replens or Lubrin in stores around my area.  I have no children, but I always thought I might have them.  What are my chances that my menstrual cycle might come back?  If it doesn’t what is the best way to handle intercourse after early menopause?
Dear BCLady2009:  It is very difficult to know whether a menstrual cycle will return after chemotherapy.  In general, the closer a woman is to her natural menopause, the more likely that chemotherapy will induce menopause.  We always caution women not to assume that no menstruation means no fertility.  You never know when or if menstruation may return and becoming pregnant while on chemotherapy (herceptin) would not be recommended.  You may want to discuss all of these issues with a good gynecologist who has some experience with these issues and can determine whether any hormone testing would be helpful and at what time points.  Some oncologists are also familiar with these issues and could offer suggestions.
For lubrication try Almond Oil.  You can find it in Vitamin shoppe, GNC etc.  I has really helped me and is safe to use.