Chronic swollen lymph node
6 months ago I developed a very sore swollen lymph node under my right arm.  I was nursing at the time and saw 3 different doctors, my OB, GP and a dermatologist.  The derm. was consulted because of a small sore on my right hand that had persisted for 2 months.  Culture and biopsy done on sore and all came back negative.  I was put on antibiotics and ibuprofin.  The soreness went away and lymph node slowly got smaller.   In early stages of this problem I did have night fevers for about 2 weeks.  No fever at this time.  Dermatologist decided based on evidence he saw that I had Cat Scratch Disease.  Now the lymph node (6 months later) is still swollen, I have had bouts of axillary webb syndrome and today area is sore again.  I am terribly afraid of a cancer going undiagnosed. Any thoughts welcome?  Derm. MD said he would be willing to send me to Infectious Disease MD although wait is very long.  I wonder if that is the correct MD to try next.

Catch sratch fever can definitely result in lingering swollen glands. Or the  sore on your hand may well have caused the axillary lymph node to swell.

It may be reassuring to know that sometimes after an infection, a lymph node which became swollen in response may only very slowly, or may NEVER, return to its original size.

In regard to your breast cancer concern, just keep up your normal screenings and see a physician for a clinical breast exam if you detect any new lumps or other changes in your breasts.

Your physician would also be the best person to advise you regarding whether you need to be referred to another specialist, and if so, what type.

Best wishes,
bluebutterfly
Thank you for your response.  Although it is a pain that the node remains swollen it is a comfort to know it is normal.