Breast Cancer Community
Clarification on Swollen areola
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Clarification on Swollen areola

Hello!
I'm a Male-31yrs old.. for around few months, I'm noticing a swelling in my areola, in my right breast[pecs]... its only the areola, that at times swells up & shrinks..If , I press a little hard on my Nipple on the swollen side, I get a sharp Pain... My other side [Left] is normal [No pain, no swelling]..

I've consulted my general physician, I was given some anti-inflammatory drug & liniment, I did complete the course of medication.. But had no improvement... Now I'm advised to consult, an endocrinologist...  It would be of great help, if anyone could know of such [similar] conditions.. What it could be [Hope not cancerous] ?

Thanking you in anticipation of a reply..
Related Discussions
3 Comments
Blank
Hi,

This could be due to hormonal disturbances.

Your physician was right in referring you to an endocrinologist. Your hormonal levels would be checked and a proper clinical examination done.

This could also be some skin infection or infection of the breast tissue.

The chances of this being cancer are very less but further investigations would be required for a confirmed diagnosis.

Do let us know what your endocrinologist advises.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Blank
My niece is 17 years old and is very worried because she has some redness and swelling of her areola. She said it even looks bumpy (more so than the other areola).  She also noticed some potential stains in her bra (on both sides), but is not sure if it is from discharge. She never noticed any nipple discharge.  She is very upset and nervous that this could be breast cancer. We have no history of breast cancer in our family. My sister is going to make an appointment next week, but do you have any knowledge of this to share that might ease her mind? Any idea of what it could possibly be?
Thank you!
Blank
Hi,

Since when has she been noticing these symptoms? You need to get a clinical examination done to find out a probable diagnosis.

This could be due to hormonal disturbances or some underlying breast lesion such as fibroadenoma or cystic lesion.

Ask her to wear lose clothes and avoid too much caffiene , alcohol, etc.

Let us know what your doctor tells you.

Regards.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank