Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Cluster of Microcalifications

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Cluster of Microcalifications

A year ago I had two benign cyst removed from my breast, recently I had a Mammogram done and what was found were Cluster of Microcalifications which require further testing, Breast Cancer runs in my family, my sister passed away at age 42, I'm 44 and very scared that I might have cancer as well.  I have been reading and finding out that clusters might be considered cancerous which frightens me very much. Is there some type of foods I should be eating or can I do anything on my part to help!

Also it states my Birad Catergory is 0 due to unable to compare, I don't know what that means?  Please let me know.  thank you.
Dear rsolis, Microcalcifications are small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue.  There are different types of microcalcifications, and based on their pattern on the mammogram it gives the radiologist clues as to their cause.  For instance microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause, a
I saw your post below under bc friends. We must have been typing at the same time. I don't think diet does much for bc. See post below.
Birad 0 means the information is incomplete. I assume they scheduled you for more detailed mammograms. After the radiologist reads them he will give you another birad rating. They'll probably want to do a biopsy because that's the only way you'll know for sure if they are cancerous or not. I also have new calcifications that appear in suspicious groupings on a regular basis. My surgeon told me they have nothing to do with diet and there is nothing I can do to prevent them. Injury to the breast can cause them, though.
Thank you for your comments, I just have to wait and see what the outcome will be.  Can you tell me, what is the best route needle biopsy or surgery? I don't want to go through surgery again but I'm not sure if the needle part of it is enough.  Any advise.
Most likely they would do a needle biopsy first before surgery to confirm whether it is cancer of not.  Remember 80% of microcal. are benign.
My first biopsy for calcifications was needle (wire) directed where the radiologist inserted wires into the calcifications taking mammogram pictures as he went to guide him. Then a surgeon removed the calcifications as indicated by the wires. I thought I should have had a stereotactic biopsy (less invasive) but the radiologist felt the needle directed was more appropriate. (A friend who went to the same radiologist had a stereotactic about the same time, so I know he reommends both types.) Last Jan. I had a steeotactic biopsy which I prefer. I think it depends on the location of the calcifications. It's hard to get deep calcifications with stereotactic biopsies.
Your surgeon will determine what biopsy procedure is appropriate for you.  Sometimes the area in question may be too large or too deep for sterotactic or needle.  Then, as in my case, an open biopsy is warranted.  My was performed with conscious sedation and a local.  I FELT AND REMEMBERED NOTHING.  The worst part was the dye injection the evening before, very discomforting.  Like the saying goes, you have to do what you have to do.  Good luck!
I just got my appointment for tomorrow so happy, will I find out with the Diagnostic test and the Ultra sound test if I have cancer or not?
After the diagnostic mammogram and US the radiologist will read them, write (or dictate) a report and give it a BIRAD rating. You probably won't get those results for a couple of days, but you have a right to ask to meet with the radiologist while you're there and you can ask him your questions. The additional pictures will help the radiologist and surgeon make a recommendation for what type of biopsy you need and if you even need one. They can't tell if calcifications are cancerous without doing a biopsy. They can only rate how suspicious they look. (BIRAD)It's always a good idea to ask for a copy of the radiologists report. I'm trying to get a copy of a report from Dec. 05 and nobody can find it.
O.K. thanks I will ask for a copy, what questions should I ask? I'm so nervous and I know I will forget to ask questions.
If they recommend a biopsy I would ask why they recommend that specific type of biopsy. I'd also ask what the Birad is and why specifically the radiologist is worried about these calcifications. He will probably show you the calcifications on the mammograms (but it's always hard for me to see what they're trying to show me. They use a magnifying glass and are really tuned into what to look for, unlike me with the untrained eye.)If he doesn't recommend a biopsy I'd also ask why. If you are meeting with the surgeon before the biopsy (which usually happens) I'd ask the surgeon for an explanation of the biopsy procedure (which he should do anyway), how it will feel, how you will feel afterwards, limitations afterwards, how long the procedure will take, how to prepare for it (if necessary),etc.
I tried to post on the thread that I first posted on , however it was closed to new comments.  I got the results of my biopsy and everything was fine.  I will have mammograms every six months and see the surgeon again in one year.  I would like to thank everyone for there thoughts and prayers.  I wish everyone well.
Thanks for sharing your good news. Glad it turned out benign.
Had another Diagnostic test done on Sept 9 and it confirmed the findings of Cluster of Calification is noted in the 2 o'clock position Recommendation is needle biopsy which I'm scheduled in one week from now.  Can anyone tell me is it painful? And how soon can they tell me if it's cancerous, I asked that question they said it's sent to the lab and in a few days they will get the results back, but what's a few days? What are the chances it might be cancer.
I've had 3 needle biopsies. They numb the area, so you should only feel some pressure when they biopsy the area. You have an 85% chance of this being benign. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
One more thing...everytime I've been told I'd get results in 2-3 days and then they surprised me with results the next day. Maybe you'll have the same experience! (Waiting is a bummer!)
Had mamogram (mammogram) Sept. 7, dr. called back and more mamograms were done yesterday. Said that they found about 15-17 spots in the left breast at the bottom. Had a breast reduction done about 10 yrs. ago, could it just be scare tissue. Tues. they are doing the bio. with the needle. Any advise or comments
Thanks,
alittle worried
What kind of spots are you talking about? Microcalcifications?
they said califications and they are shaped differently. I asked about the birad scoring and the Dr. said they are scoring me at a 4.
P.S The Dr. also said they are in one area and not scattered. Should I be more concerned?
Sounds like a cluster versus scattered. That has a 50-75% chance of being benign. Having a biopsy is the right thing to do...stay strong!
A Birad rating of 4 is suspicious, but certainly better than a 5 which is highly suggestive of malignancy. They do worry more about certain types of clustered calcifications, which is probably why they rated it a 4 and want to do a biopsy. Many of these clusters are benign, but the only way to find out is through biopsy. Let us know if you have other questions. A lot of us have been through this more than once!
Hi I just had the radilogist put the wire in and the surgeon removed a cluster of calcification they were very close to the breast wall. I origally was sceduled last week but machine broke 3 weeks before that i went for a mamatome thats a biopsy procedure they couldn,t do it because of the location. I had to wait because my surgeon was on vacation Since my 1st mamagram til now its been over 7 weeks. I was so stressed. I am glad it over now. For all of you out there it not that painful just don,t run up the stairs I found that out the hard way. It will be a few days before I get results. I just hope my luck doesnt interfere
hi everyone,
I had 12 bio's done on Tues. and had the results back by 1pm the next day. Not one of them were canerous. Praise the Lord. I will be praying for all of you and I will be walking for all of you on Oct. 1st for breat cancer. God bless all of you.
Kind Regards,
Denise
had my first mamogram (mammogram) yesterday, a diagnostic one, lots of pictures and a sonogram... radiologsits told me a "cluster of microcalcifications" but i also had a fibro...something tumor, but she was less concerned about that and a probable papaloma cyst, which she said i will probably need to see a surgeon for.  she said that we were going to handle this one at a time and do a biopsy, stereotatic (sp??) a week from monday....
should i be concerned that ALL 3 of these things are going on in ONE breast?
35 yrs old, very scared.
When are you scheduled for your test and which ones? There are lots of things going on in our boobs at one time. Let us know when your test are scheduled.
SEE MY POST ON MICROCALCIFICATIONS..... ANY ADVICE IS APPRECIATED..
just a question, could anyone tell me that having 17 calcifications in my left breast is ok to have? Had the bio, last wk. and came back non-cancerous.Great news!! Havent heard from my dr. and was wondering will they be removed or will I have a mamo still once a year or every 6 month. Any advise
Jc I posted you above on 9-7-06 Microcalcifications on mamo I think. I am sorry you are upset I certainly know how you are feeling as I just went through this myself. Found cancer in July, had right breast masectomy August 25th. We don't mean to sound harsh on here it just comes out that way sometimes. If there is anything I can answer for you I will do my best. Unfortunately I don't believe they would send you to a specialist if there was no cause for concern. But there are lots of things that go wrong in the breast. Please let us know how things go. Look at breastcancer.org a wonderful site with lots of information there.
They don't remove widespread calcifications usually only tight clusters.
THANK YOU FOR THE POST... I JUST SENT ANOTHER ONE ON MICROCALCIFICATIONS.... I AM SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR DIAGNOSIS, BUT YOU SEEM EXTREMELY STRONG!!! PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU JUST EVER NEED AN EAR..THANKS
Thank you jc.
Wow! I had lots of questions and reading your posts all of them have been answered. I have had 3 Momo's (magnifications and something to do with "vascular"???) but the final outcome is a rating of 4 and a trip to the specialist to schedule a reccommended biopsy. I had a lump removed over 10 years ago from the same breast, a mother who is a breast cancer survivor (20 years) and I had Stage II ovarian cancer (all is still good now) 4 years ago. I am no stranger to all of this but there is so much I DO NOT know and being able to contact others who are goig through or have gone through the same thing in invaluable. I didn't even know what the ratings meant. Any way thanks to you all you are in my thoughts and I will keep you posted as to results.
First a thank you for having this site available.  I stumbled upon it in search for info. about microcalc.  I had a stereotactic biopsy done Monday 9/25 and am about to go crazy waiting for results.  Today is Thurs. - I have called in again and left a message.  The info. I have gotten from this site has helped so much.  I had no idea there were so many of us out there w/this problem.  Just wanted to say thanks...and hoped by writing, it would release some anxiety!
sassysab and serene 1 Let us know if you have more questions or just need to vent. It's also good to hear your results. When those "benign" results are posted it helps the others have hope that their biopsy will also turn out benign.
Had My Dr appointment..He said in norman situations he would say wiat 6 months, but with my history and that of my MOM HISTORY he wants to be sure so they will call tomorrow to schedualKeep you posteed. SAssysab
I'm sure you'll feel more comfortable knowing the outcome than waiting 6 months. What type of biopsy are you having?
Yes with the biopsy you will know for sure and want have to worry for 6 months. Let us know.
I had the biopsy yeaterday and as much as everyone says it doesn't hurt it does actually hurt a lot. I really hope I never have to go through that again. I see the Dr. on Thurs for the results...keep you posted.
Sometimes I feel with my history and that of my mom and aunt  eventually something will be malignant so lets just get rid of it and start all over. I wouldn't mind having some new perky boobs at 51!. Ha! Ha! Hope everyone is OK I'll chat more later too tired now!
I am absolutely shocked and pissed that you would "Like some perky new boobs". Search the internet and see just what we have to go through and look at some of the results of our perky new boobs. Wonder if you would change your mind then? How ridiculas a statement. Ha! Ha!
Sorry to hear your biopsy hurt. I'll look for your results tomorrow. Hope they turn out ok.