Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Colored discharge from nipple

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Colored discharge from nipple

I have noticed for the past 2 weeks a blue discharge coming from my right nipple.  I noticed it during my self exam.  There is no pain, swelling, redness, tenderness or other symptoms.  I went to my dr last week and he did a culture that showed no growth of bacteria or infection and scheduled me for a mamogram (mammogram).  It concerns me because it is BLUE - it looks like Kool-aid - and both the doctor and his nurse did not know what to think of it.  He asked if I drink anything blue and I do not - why would my body be making such a substance?  Is there reason for concern?

Thank you
Dear Bailey-smom:  Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple. The discharge can come in a variety of colors - gray, green and brown as well as white. Some women are more prone to more discharge including women on; birth control pills, certain blood pressure medications or on major tranquilizers. These medications increase prolactin levels in the body. There is also certain life periods when a person is more likely to get discharge than others: there may be more discharge at puberty and at menopause than the years in-between.

The time to worry about nipple discharge is when it
So have you ever heard of a blue discharge?  I am just trying to figure out why mine is blue like kool-aid.  I read this response to others but I didn't know about it being blue.  My Dr had never seen that color before.

I had my mammogram done yesterday but what would the next step be if it shows nothing?

Thanks.
You might find the following links that mention blue breast discharges reassuring.

http://www.imaginis.com/breasthealth/ductography.asp

http://forums.obgyn.net/womens-health/WHF.9804/0188.html

Hope this helps.
you dont know how relieved i am to see someone else with my problem. ive been scared to death. nobody ive talked to has heard of blue nipple discharge . and its kind of embarressing to talk about. i havent had a mammogram done yet but i am very interested in knowing how yours comes back. thanks.
Yes, it is good to hear that someone else has blue discharge from their breasts.  I have had it in both breats and several of the ducts for about 9 years now.  Sometimes it's black, sometimes it's aqua with a pearly look to it, and it is usually has the consistancy of translucent hand cream, not watery. When I went to a specialist he was patronizing and said I was low risk - even after I read all the myths about breast cancer in the loby!  Then I went to a ductologist, she couldn't tell me much, but she wasn't worried.  After being sent for a mamogram (mammogram) upstairs, I was actually brought into an vacant office (used as a storage room) where 4 or 5 doctors all stood around while I produced the discharge for them... I felt like a circus freak.  The mamogram (mammogram) turned out fine.  Now I'm looking around and I see mammary duct ectasia.  When this started I was only 27, and it was 1 1/2 years after nursing my son! Now I'm 36. Haven't had any other children.  I can't be near menopause! Any thoughts? Thanks!