Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Complex Cysts -- Doc Says Wait 6 Months - Worried

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I recently had a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound (US). My mammogram showed 1 possible, small lump.  My US revealed 8 cysts in my left breast -- 2 complex cysts and 6 simple cysts. The radiologist told me that the complex cysts were small and slightly oval shaped which was compatible with them being cysts. But, the borders were thicker and cloudier than the simple cysts. He said that the complex cysts probably contained protein and blood. He told me that most doctors would just tell me that I had cysts and leave it at that, but he wanted me to come back in 6 months to make sure these cysts hadn't changed.

Then, I got a letter which said that I'd been informed that my "cysts were probably benign (not cancer)" but that I need to have a follow-up evaluation in 6 months. When the doctor talked with me, he didn't say, "You probably don't have cancer, but we'll wait 6 months and see." He just said, "You have complex cysts."  

Now, I'm scared. If there is some chance these cysts could be cancer, shouldn't I find that out now?

Also, my mammogram only revealed 1 lump, then 8 lumps showed up on my US. The lump that the mammogram revealed was a simple cyst.  The complex cysts only showed up on US.  The US was only done on my left breast.  I'm now concerned about what might be present in my right breast that isn't showing up on the mammogram.  Given that I have very dense breasts and the fact that many problems showed up on US that did not show up on mammogram, should I insist on a US of my right breast as well?
Dear Lindsey316:  Complex cysts describe a structure that is less well defined than a simple cyst with ultrasound. They may contain thick fluid, or fluid that contains dead cells. An aspiration is often recommended to make sure the cyst is not solid. Any suspicious appearing fluid would be sent to the laboratory for analysis. In general, cysts are benign. Complex cysts may require more evaluation.  Often, women who develop cysts will develop multiple cysts.  As long as everyone is sure they are cysts and they are not causing pain or discomfort, there may be no need to do anything further.  The language you received in your letter is standard language describing an apparently benign result of a mammogram and/or ultrasound.  If you are concerned, consider discussing further with your radiologist and/or consider an appointment with a surgeon for further evaluation.
hjkghghghghkhjggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
Get them out, don't wait.  They are probably nothing but if they are something your best chance for a full recovery is to catch it early.  Breast cancer is curable if caught in its earliest stages.  I wouldn't wait.  Just an opinion and also based on previous experience with the same thing.
I recently went for my yearly mammogram and was called back for an ultra sound on both breasts.  I had the ultrasound today and was told I have some complex cysts and should come back in six months for a follow up ultra sound.  I am 52 years old and have been treated for cysts for years (aspirations and surgically removed. I also had a needle localization for calcifications about 15 years ago which came back benign.  I have a appointment scheduled with my surgeon in about a week for a check up. Is there anything else that I should be doing?
A related discussion, brown aspirate was started.