Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Concern over Swollen Milk Glands in Right Breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I am 52 years of age,never had children, had a hysterectomy 1.5 years ago, and believe I am at the end of the peri-menopausal stage.  About 4 months ago, one gland became noticeably white and remained that way for a month or so.  Then it expanded beyond the nipple.  The covering skin wore away and I emptied the canal.  The substance was the consistency of a cake's sugar frosting (not so buttery).  After about a month, a second gland seems to be starting the same process.  Is this unusual?  Are they clogging up?  Should I be worried or doing something about this?  Thanks!
Dear Twice:  The condition you are describing sounds more like an infectious process than a swollen milk duct.  If this does, in fact, happen again, we would recommend that this be evaluated by a physician.  This should be done prior to "emptying the canal."
It's not "usual" and ought to be evaluated.