Cone compression mammogram
I am 42 years old and just had a cone compression mammo done. I have an appointment with the doctor next week.My report says.. Cone compression in craniocaudal view for an area of increased density in the inner half of left breast was performed. it shows complete dispersion of parenchyma mean?
Breast parenchyma only gives a description to the breast tissue.Increased density usually means that the breast has more fibroglandular tissue than fat.Often it indicates a degree of fibrocystic changes that happen in many women at some time in their lives and it does not necessarily indicate breast cancer.
However,increased density in breast tissue, makes mammogram readings more difficult to see a small lesion or to palpate a definite lump on physical exam.
Do you know what is your BIRADS score assigned on your Mammogram report?
BIRADS is a quality control system,used by radiologists after interpreting mammograms,ultrasound and MRIs.
This system allows radiologist to categorize the findings by numbers.The scores go from 0 to 5.The higher the number the more suspicious is the abnormality.Depending on your BIRADS score,your radiologist/doctor may request continued follow up or additional tests such as a breast ultrasound or a MRI or a biopsy if he /she thinks that there is something suspicious.
I am sure your doctor will be able to explain in details your mammogram results.
Best wishes...
Thank you so much for your reply. My BI-RADS Category is 1: Negative but my doctor still wanted me to have a cone compression and a targeted ultrasound done because she thought she saw something on my x-ray. My targeted ultrasound says No focal mass noted in the inner half of the left breast. Mammographically appreciated asymmetric density not visualized on ultrasound. I hope its nothing and my doctor is just being thorough.
You are welcome!
I am quite confident that with a BIRADS score 1,the odds are in your favor that further investigation will also result in benign findings.
Please let us know how things are proceeding,by adding your comment on this same thread..Thank you.
All the best and good luck!
I will definitely do that. Thanks once again.