Breast Cancer Community
Confused about lump results.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Confused about lump results.

I have a lump that is thin and somewhat oval shape in my right underside of my breast on the inside.  I am 41 years old.  I have had it for maybe 4 months and was finally able to see a doctor.  He felt it right away and I was given a mammogram and an ultrasound.  The lump showed on the mammogram but not the ultrasound.  Should I still be concerned?
You mention no report on either of the tests so I have no idea if this is something to be concerned about or not. Your Dr. should have received the complete report on each of the tests and you should discuss this with him/her as soon as possible. There would be some indication as to the nature of this lump and whether any further testing is required. The two tests are quite different and therefore each may show or not show something different. Your Dr. has the information that you are seeking so give him/her a call to discuss the final reports.  Regards ....
Thank you for your comment.  I have not had any reports given to me or explained yet.  Just one letter for the results of the mammogram and one for the results of the ultrasound.  Both say two different things.  I have an appointment Monday with a surgeon to discuss the results.  I just can't understand how one shows the lump and the other doesn't.  
They are entirely different types of imagery and this is why they are used together very often. Each is much better at "seeing" one thing than is the other. It isn't at all unusual for something to be seen on Ultrasound that wasn't visible by Mammogram. There is another test (Breast MRI) that also can detect things that the other two cannot. If you have any other questions or concerns after your appointment don't hesitate to come back and post them here. Take care ..
Thank you.  I don't really have a primary Dr. because this is being paid for by a charity (no insurance).  So I feel like I have no one to ask what all this means.  I'm pretty sure it's a cyst of somethig because there isn't any history of breast cancer in my family.  Thanks again for your explanation.
No matter what Dr. you should receive the explanation from whomever you will be seeing on Monday. This may well be a cyst from the brief description you posted but the reports will be complete as well as containing any recommendation as to what needs to be done next; if anything.