Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Core Needle Biopsy and clip placement

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Core Needle Biopsy and clip placement

Good Morning,

I am a nervous reck!  They found a bunch of things on my very 1st mamogram (mammogram).  They did a 2nd mamogram (mammogram) (over and over) and an ultrasound.  They found 2 nodules they are a little concerned about.  They are doing an ultrasound guided core biopsy and clip placement.  Sorry - I am a big baby and hate needles so scared to death!  The radiologist said something about one of them will probably have to be removed even if it is benign.  Is that why they are putting in a clip?  What is a clip?  Also, would it be appropriate for my husband to come with me during the biopsy?

See report below:

Mammographic views demonstrate a 1-cm well-defined retroareolar nodule in the left breast. Ultrasound assessment of this area demonstrated a solid hypoechoic nodule with benign features, oval in shape and normal to perhaps slightly increased through-transmission and no prominent color Doppler flow.  This is amenable to ultrasound-guided core biopsy with clip placement. Its exact measurement is difficult to determine due to artifact from the nipple and prominent fat lobules in the region. By ultrasound, it measures approximately 1.1 cm in diameter.
Mammographic additional views also demonstrate a 1-cm partially circumscribed nodule in the upper outer quadrant of the left breast. Ultrasound demonstrated a hypoechoic round benign nodule at 1:30, 7 cm from the nipple, with increased through-transmission and no abnormal Doppler flow. This nodule
is also amenable to ultrasound-guided core biopsy.
Dear 2bfrazzled:  A clip placement is when the radiologist places a small "metal" object into the area of concern.  This will help the surgeon identify the correct area if the nodule is to be removed.  In most cases, your husband would be welcome to accompany you to your appointment.  You will need to talk with your facility but most of the time, husbands (support people) wait in the waiting area during the actual procedure.
I am wondering if you've had anything done as yet.  You know, generally, smooth and rounded/oval is better than rough, poorly-defined edges.

If you have not had anything done as yet, perhaps another opinion is in order.  Benign nodule warranting a core biopsy?  Well, hopefully, you know more today than at the beginning of the month.

I'm rather certain I'm passing on the titanium biopsy marker myself, but I suspect I am much older than you are.  Best health to you.
Hi I am 23 yrs old and have had a lump in my left breast now for 4 years. It appeared there after having my baby 4 yrs ago. Its about silver dollar size but rectangular. I finally went to have it looked at and the doc sent me to get an ultrasound on it and they told me they needed me to see a specialist. So i went to the specialist and she said i need to have a "core biopsy" scheduled in the local hospital in 4 days! I have no family history of any cancer and i am seriously scared to death i mean terrified...
Do people get breast cancer at such a young age?? Ive been looking up sites and forums online and everyone says it hurts which makes me wanna cry just thinking about it. My pain tolerance is not good i have a very low tolerance to pain especially knowing they are going to stick needles in me and i am going to be awake!!
I have noone to talk to about this women wise so im not sure what to expect. Can anyone give me any encouragement or advice?
Sincerely,
Terrified in arizona!!!
Sincerely,
Terrified in arizona!!!
I am 40 years old now and in July of 2003 I had what was told to me later was a Lipoma(Fat)removed from underneath my left breast on the connective tissue. It was painful so my endocrin. doc did an exam and sent me to a breat specialist.  He was an mean and angry person but removed in his office and I followed up until he released me. I was advised to follow up with a surgeon every six to eight months after which I have been since that time.

What I didn't know until my last semi-annual mammogram that I had a "clip" inside the area on my left the breast tissue where the Lipoma was and I have complained to my surgeon of severe pain in the left underarm area and in the area where the Lipoma was removed. He does not think that the painis an indication of any problem.

I don't know whether I need to get another surgeon to remove the clip or not?  Sometimes it feels as if I have been lifting weights for hours and I have had no discharge at all.  I was diagnosis with Fibrocystic Breast Disease in 1999 as well.

Has anyone ever heard of a reaction/pain to a clip which was left in place of a Lipoma removal?

Does anyone know who makes the clip, what it is made of?

A related discussion, pain in my left breat was started.
A related discussion, mammo clip placement was started.
A related discussion, breast reduction after biopsy was started.