Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Could Boils on Breast be Breast Cancer?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Could Boils on Breast be Breast Cancer?

I am 42 years old and I started with boils on my breast about a year ago. The boils are about quarter size, (if a boil). I went to my family doctor 2 months ago and he was concerned it was IBC because of the swelling of half of my breast and a visiable line around the swelling. He sent me for test. A mammogram was done on that breast and nothing was found, but on the other breast they found a 3cm size mass. The doctor reading the test said he had nothing to compare the test too to see if it has been there for years with no growing of the mass. It was my first mammogram. He asked me to return in 6 months to recheck the mass. The boil (?) cleared up on the breast. It has been 2 months and on the breast with the mass, a huge boil (?) and swelling started. Very painful! I applied the cream given from my last break out on other breast. Now my question is, 'Could this be more than boils?" I read up on IBC and it never mentions lumps or boils. I am worried because of the mass on that breast and now the huge boil. "Does IBC cause boils that come and go?" I am so confused with all the reading I have done. Thanks for any information given.
Dear KjnFemale,  Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC) is a rare type of breast cancer accounts for only 1 to 4 percent of all breast cancers.  It is called inflammatory because the symptoms are usually a redness and warmth in the skin of the breast, often without a distinct lump.  The skin on the breast like anywhere else on the body is subject to a varienty of skin conditions.  It is not possible to say what this is without benefit of further questioning and physical examination.   It is good to follow up with your doctor who can assess this further and put the findings in context of your individual situation.