Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Cryoablation

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Cryoablation

My breast core biopsy showed I had a breast fibroid.  This is the second one of these I have had in the last 20 years.  The first fibroid I had 20 years ago was surgically removed.  With the current fibroid my doctor is recommending a cryoablation which will freeze the fibroid and it will dissolve over the next six months to a year. I'm really nervous about this procedure.  Are these procedure successful for breast fibroids?
Dear debuzz:  Fibroadenomas are non-malignant (benign) lumps that feel smooth, and round. They can vary from very small to quite large (5cm). Fibroadenomas are usually distinct on a mammogram and ultrasound. They are most common in women in their teens and early 20's but can happen at any age. If the size is stable and the fibroadenoma is not bothering the woman - there may be no reason to remove it. Cryoablation has been used in the treatment of fibroadenomas and its stated benefits may be a less invasive procedure with a better cosmetic result than a surgical removal.  However, if there is confidence that this is, indeed, a fibroademoa the question may be whether any intervention is necessary.  You may wish to discuss this with your surgeon who can, based on your situation, discuss this with you more thoroughly.

1 Comment
A related discussion, Cryoablation was started.
A related discussion, cryoablation of breastlumps was started.