Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Cumulative Chemo

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Cumulative Chemo

I have finished my first chemo treatment (Cytoxin+Taxotere) with no major side effects.  Will this be the same after the second, third and fourth treatment?

I was diagnosed with Stage II non-met breast cancer, but never had a bone or pet scan.  How are they so sure it has not metastisized?

Dear puggins:  The first cycle of chemotherapy is often an indicator of how a person might feel for subsequent cycles although it is not a guarantee.  Further, there are some side effects that can develop with cumulative doses.  Doctors use facts about a specific tumor as well as statistics to determine the probability of a tumor spreading.  While doctors can never be SURE there are no metastases, for staging stage II (unless T3N1), NCCN regards imaging “optional” unless there are symptoms or abnormal labs that suggest mets.  PET has not been shown to be overwhelmingly helpful for staging beyond CT and bone scan.

The purpose of adjuvant chemotherapy is to kill any microscopic cells that may be present anywhere in the body.  You may benefit from a discussion with your doctor about your specific situation.
I just finished my fourth and final round of Cytoxan and Taxotere.  I had very few problems with the first round.  I had some muscle and bone pain from the Taxotere but was otherwise my normal self.  I thought if all the rounds went like that then chemo would be okay.  The second round hit me a little harder and the third round had me in bed for two days with nausea and fatigue.  The last round wasn't as bad as the third round (not as sick) but made me very tired.  Two weeks later I'm still trying to get back my energy.

I don't want to scare you into thinking that it is going to be bad.  My experience with chemo isn't one I'd like to repeat but I was able to tolerate it.  Just be prepared for the fact that it all might not be as easy as the first round.  Make sure you have some anti-nausea medication on hand and don't schedule anything major for the week following your subsequent chemo rounds.  If I can get through it so can you.  Good luck.
i found that the chemo was more cumulative...i had six rounds and they seemed to escalate in ''badness'' the further along i went.  i also had taxotere, cytoxine and adrymiocin....

you can do it....i say this with lots of love....suck it up and take your medicine like a big girl!!

xo, darcy