Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Cyberknife versus chemo

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Cyberknife versus chemo

I am just about to undergo cyberknife treatment for secondary breast cancer. There are two cancerous lymph nodes about 1cm in the pulmonary window by my heart and pressing on the windpipe. Due to there position surgery is not an option. My left vocal cord has become paralysed as the cancer has damaged nerves in my chest. I am very anxious as a gold 'marker' will be placed into the tumor via the oesophagus and a biopsy taken. The marker stays there for life and this is used for the focused radiotherapy. Am I right to be concerned about the procedure and could it actually rid me of this cancer? What are the risks compared with chemo?
Dear elami, The cyberknife procedure is a localized treatment of radiation targeted to treat a specific tumor or tumors.  Chemotherapy is a general term for various types of medications that are given systemically to treat cancer wherever it is in the body.  Each of the chemotherapy medications have different side effects.  The risk/benefit of any of the treatments would need to be weighed on an individual basis.  For example, in your situation with the cancerous tumor causing symptoms the radiation focused specifically at that tumor to treat it directly may be more beneficial at this point in your care.  However, over-the-internet it is not possible to adequately discuss the risk/benefits for an individual situation.  It is best to have the discussion with your oncologist who can discuss this with you in context of your individual situation.