Breast Cancer Community
Cyst, Complex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Cyst, Complex

I requested a needle biopsy because I have a COMPLEX CYST.  What is the difference between a complex cyst and a simple cyst.  Is a complex cyst more chances to be cancer?
The terminology here gets very confusing, and unfortunately radiologists often misuse it.  Part of the problem was that a few years ago they changed some definitions around.

A SIMPLE cyst is never cancer and will never become cancer.  It is just a water balloon filled with fluid.

A COMPLICATED cyst is never cancer and will never become cancer.  It is a water balloon filled with gunk, sometimes old blood, sometimes just debris.  These are usually followed for a while to make sure they are not changing.  If it changes, then it wasn't a complicated cyst to begin with, but just looked like one.  So if it changes, it was either solid, or a complex cyst.

A COMPLEX cyst is sometimes cancer, but usually not.  A complex cyst is a cyst with a living tissue growth inside of it that is attached to the wall.  Usually that growth secretes a lot of fluid which causes the water balloon to grow.  A complex cyst should be biopsied because it will on occasion be an intracystic cancer.

Radiologists sometime incorrectly refer to complicated cysts as complex cysts, so I wouldn't automatically assume that just because the report says complex cyst, that it is in fact a complex cyst.
O my... I was just given some test results and was told I had complex cyst on my right ovary.:(  BUT they said follow up in two months to check it again SO maybe not too serious right?  I normally dont have anything like that going on with me.  Just a Migraine every now and then.. SO this is pretty new to me.. I was taking it lightly but did not know it could possible be cancer...