Breast Cancer Community
Cyst Aspiration/Sonographic Core Biospy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Cyst Aspiration/Sonographic Core Biospy

Had a mammogram and sonogram done last week. Found possible Cyst?? Will do procedure on Monday 6/15/09.   But in reading your site, it says that a sonogram will show if it is a cyst or not.  He is doing a cyst aspiration first and then if needed a sonographic core biopsy.  I am very scared and worried.  I am 61 and was suprised since I go every year and have been faithful.  My gyn doctor said it is approx .7cm.  What should I expect and I do not know what questions to ask.  Please help me as I am so upset and am not thinking straight.  My husband said we will get through it but I don't think he understands really what I am going through mentally.  Please give me some answeres or approach I should take.
     The ultrasound will show if the lesion is fluid-filled or solid.  If it appears to be fluid-filled, it is a cyst and an aspiration will be done.  As the aspiration is done, the lesion will appear to disappear on the ultrasound screen.  If the lesion appears to be solid and cannot be aspirated, the core biopsy will be done.  The biopsy is the only way to know for sure if the lesion is malignant or benign.  If a biopsy is done, you will probably get the results within 7 to 10 days.  Even if the lesion is solid and the biopsy is done, that doesn't mean it is malignant.  It could be a fibroadenoma which is not malignant.
     As far as the procedure goes, you will be lying on an examination table and the ultrasound will be done.  It is not at all painful.  If it appears to be a cyst, the doctor will use a needle to aspirate.  This will only cause minor discomfort.  If a biopsy needs to be done, you will receive a shot to deaden the area.  As the biopsy is done, you will hear several clicking noises as the device takes the samples.  The doctor will probably take two or three samples.  Your breast will be sore for a few days, but there will not be a lot of pain.  You will probably be given a cold pack to put on your breast the first day to reduce swelling and inflammation.  After a couple of days, you won't have any pain.
     If you do have to have a biopsy, the hardest part is waiting for the results.  When you go in to your doctor to get the results, take someone with you to make sure you get the complete story.  We tend to miss a lot when we are anxious and worried.  Ask for a copy of the biopsy report even if the result is benign.  This will let you know what you're dealing with.  The time for questions is when you get the biopsy results.
     Good luck on your procedure.  Here's hoping it is a cyst or other benign lesion.  Please let us know your outcome.  Everyone here is very helpful regardless of the outcome.
Thank you and I will definitely let you know the outcome. And this site is wonderful and will pass it on to anyone that needs it.  Thank you for yur response, since I know that I am just one of many out there who do not know who to turn to and are very aprehensive.
Had my appointment to day.  Only had to do the cyst aspiration not the core biopsy. It was not as bad as I thought it would be.  Pain was very , very minimal, nothing to complalin about. I received the report before the procedure and on it it states Bi-rads 4a Mildy suspicious for malignancy.

What is the next step.  I know I have to wait for the results.  What would they possibly be and or what other questions should I ask.  Please help.