Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Cyst aspiration

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Cyst aspiration

I recently felt a very small lump on my left breast.  It feels like a tiny BB under my skin.  I feels very hard.  I had a mammogram and ultrasound.  I recently received a letter saying the mammogram/ultrasound showed abnormality that requires follow-up in the form of a cyst aspiration.  Is it possible to tell if it is a simple cyst from the ultrasound?  Is it routine to aspirate a cyst or do they only do it when they see something unusual?  I was told it was very small 2mm x 4 mm.  They are being very vague when I speak with them and it is causing me concern.  
Dear 1919cherylc:  An ultrasound is best at differentiating a solid from cystic (fluid filled) mass.   A simple cyst usually does not require aspiration unless it is causing discomfort.  If there is concern that there is something abnormal about its structure, further investigation such as a biopsy may be recommended.  Your doctor will be best able to clarify the results of the ultrasound and mammogram and discuss recommendations with you.  
It is pretty common to aspirate cysts in the breast.  Often times they may send out the fluid for testing but generally it isn't a big procedure and takes only minutes.
I had an aspiration which was negative for cancer with a 3% chance that it could be cancer. The Dr. thinks it is scar tissue from a previous biopsy. During that previous biopsy a blood vessel was punctured apparently causing the anomoly. Now the Dr. has given me an option to either remove this scar tissue or continue to monitor it. The reasons for removal would be to make 100% sure that it isn't cancerous and eliminate any further questions about it during future exams. I'm favoring removal, but I'm concerned that it might cause another anomoly that would be questioned in the future. Anyone have some thoughts on this issue that would help me make a final decision?