Breast Cancer Community
Cysts
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cysts

I am a 31-yr old woman. I have 1 indirect family history of breast cancer (mother's aunt). I had a mammogram/ultra-sound 4 weeks ago for multiple palpable soft lumps (post that month's menstrual cycle). The findings were - multiple benign cysts, BI-RADS 2. After my next cycle, the cyst remains and a new one has appeared (on palpating, feels like the other soft movable lumps). Is there cause for concern? How long do cysts take to disappear?
Tags: Cyst
Blank
587083_tn?1327123862
Hi,
First of all you don't have a strong family history of BC.What may be more concerning, is if you have a very close relative with BC ( mother or sister).
A BI-RADS category 2 means that the breasts are same size and shape and tissue looks normal.Any cysts, fibroadenomas, or other masses appear benign.So you don't have to worry about the results,but follow ups are necessary to monitor these benign cysts as recommended by your doctor.
Fibrocystic breasts is very common and affects more than 60% of women.These benign lumps tend to become less of a problem as you age, and especially after menopause.
Avoiding foods and beverages containing caffeine, such as coffee, tea, chocolate and soft drinks, can decrease water retention and may help shrink the cysts and alleviate the discomfort. Reducing fat in the diet may also be helpful.Women who stop smoking sometimes notice that their lumps decrease.Also taking Evening Primrose oil (3grams) daily may minimize premenstrual breast tenderness.
I hope this helps,and congratulations on your benign results!. :)
Best wishes...
Related Discussions
4 Comments
Blank
1765902_tn?1313598466
I would suggest you push them and have   a biopsie done  for your own peace
of mind. They can do a needle apsiration in the office .
Blank
587083_tn?1327123862
Hi,
First of all you don't have a strong family history of BC.What may be more concerning, is if you have a very close relative with BC ( mother or sister).
A BI-RADS category 2 means that the breasts are same size and shape and tissue looks normal.Any cysts, fibroadenomas, or other masses appear benign.So you don't have to worry about the results,but follow ups are necessary to monitor these benign cysts as recommended by your doctor.
Fibrocystic breasts is very common and affects more than 60% of women.These benign lumps tend to become less of a problem as you age, and especially after menopause.
Avoiding foods and beverages containing caffeine, such as coffee, tea, chocolate and soft drinks, can decrease water retention and may help shrink the cysts and alleviate the discomfort. Reducing fat in the diet may also be helpful.Women who stop smoking sometimes notice that their lumps decrease.Also taking Evening Primrose oil (3grams) daily may minimize premenstrual breast tenderness.
I hope this helps,and congratulations on your benign results!. :)
Best wishes...
Blank
Thanks so much for the replies! I was just concerned since a new one appeared, although I know cysts are extremely common. I am wondering if the new (very similar to the previous) lump also needs an ultra-sound/aspiration, or simply following it along menstrual cycles is enough.
Blank
587083_tn?1327123862
Hi again,
When you do your self breast exam and you notice a new lump that wasn't there before,it is best to have it check out.
A soft movable lump is a good sign and I wouldn't be surprised that it's just another cyst,but it's better to make sure and have it evaluated.
Take care now...
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank