Breast Cancer Community
DCIS and HER2

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

DCIS and HER2

Is there anybody with DCIS who is taking Herceptin?
Hi, DCIS is not cancer.  It is pre cancerous i.e. stage 0.  It may or may not develop into cancer.  Herceptin is a drug used if you are cancer shows to be Her2 positive.  However most breast cancers tend to be hormone sensitive.  Are you getting the DCIS removed?  If so, ask for the full pathology report and then you can see what drugs may be helpful to you.
I have removed DCIS. I am ER and PR negetive. But they didn't do HER2 test. My doctor said HER2 is not a factor in DCIS. I asked this question in doctor forums, I got almost the same respond "the significance of Her2 status in DCIS is unclear at this time." I am wondering if some one with the same situtaion as me is taking Herceptin. I don't want to take something that can not help me.
DCIS is cancer of the breast ductal cells. DCIS, on the other hand, is not an invasive cancer. It stays inside the milk duct of the breast in which it started. It can grow to cover a small or large area of the breast. But it does not spread OUTSIDE the duct into the normal surrounding breast tissue, to the lymph nodes, or to other organs.  I was diagnosed with DCIS and HER2 positive. Stage III. I did Herceptin for 6 months, I was to do it for a yr but Herceptin can cause heart damage and in my case it did so I had to stop. Good luck.
I was also ER and PR negitive. I am surprised your onc didn't do the her2 test on you. Maybe you should ask
I don't have oncologist. I have a beast surgeon specialist and a radiation oncologist. I am going to ask. Maybe my doctor thinks with the side affect of Herceptin, it is not worth to try it. Do you mean DCIS, grade III? I have read a lot of medical documents that HER2 is not significant in DCIS. I will discuss this with my doctor again. Thanks for the info.
A related discussion, dcis her2 herceptin? was started.