Breast Cancer Expert Forum
DCIS and mastectomy
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

DCIS and mastectomy

I have a recent diagnosis of DCIS ,a  lumpectomy was done . 2mm margins on two sides, no other calcifiactions on other breast or affected breast.
My options are
1-further excisional surgery to make sure no  remaining DCIS present followed by RT. My breasts are large so they can tolerate the repeat surgery.
2-I have been given the option of mastectomy bilateral.  with a DIEP from the abdomen,

Wouldn't a unilateral mastectomy of the affected breast be almost as good. I realize the remaining breast has a chance of developing DCIS and I would need close survelliance of the remaining breast and also tamoxifene Rx.because the Estrogen receptors were positive. I am 56 and enjoy the sexuality my breasts afford me so I am thinking one good one is better than two "breast mounds" as the plastic surgeon called the resulting breast reconstruction with nipples removed.
Tags: DCIS