Breast Cancer Community
DCIS and tamoxifen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

DCIS and tamoxifen

I was diagnosed with DCIS in November. The pathology report - low grade, cribriform and micropapillary types, two foci, 5mm and 4mm in greatest dimension respectively, each foci of DCIS is separated by 1mm from cauterized and closest deep margin , no invasive carcinoma present, megaive for lymphatic and vascular invasion, radial sclerosing lesion with atypical duct hyperplasia not present in the previous biopsy site. Focal apocrine metaplasia, papillary and cystic. I had 34 radiation treatments. Now the medical oncologist is recommending tamoxifen. I am questioning if I need to do this. The risk factors are significant and to me it seems like I am just trading one risk for another. Would it be foolish to refuse?

This discussion is related to Tamoxifen? Radiaition? for DCIS.
1 Comment

What is the hormone receptor status of the tumour in your case?

Having DCIS does put you at increased risk of developing breast cancer in the future and so she will need to be on regular breast self exams and periodic mammograms.

Is there a family history of breast cancer?

The usual management plan in a case of DCIS is lumpectomy followed by radiation therapy and hormone therapy only if the hormone receptor status comes out to be positive.

You should discuss this in detail with your oncologist too.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and post us about how you are doing.

Post us about what your doctor advises.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.