Breast Cancer Community
DCIS associated with invasive componet verse pure DCIS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

The pathology report says the histologic type of my tumour is mostly invasive ductal and some ductal in situ present, but in the mid portion of the tumour the invasive component shows some lobular changes.  tumor is seen across several blocks and, therefore, the gross size of 1.9x1.5x1.2cm will be used as the official size, stage 1, grade 1, NO, MO no vessel invastion clear margins, architectural pattern solid/cribriform. left breast at 11:00 o'clock.  What does across several blocks, some lobular changes, and solid/cribriform mean?  Does the pathology report mean the tumour was DCIS with an invasive part?  Also, my ultrasound and MRI measured the tumour at 1.3, but the pathology surgical report measures the tumour at 1.9: would the 1.9 be the DCIS portion and the invasive part with additional adipose tissue?  Or DCIS and Invasive  portion of the tumour together, only?  I have read my pathology report and find no  percentage that separates DCIS and Invasive ductal carcinoma.  I had a lumpectomy, radiation and now Arimidex.  How likely is this tumour with no vessel or nodal invasion present, onco type dx score in low recurrence, to metastasis?
1 Comment
Hi there,
I had the same type of tumor and my pathology report stated that in that same and only tumor I had ,IDC and DCIS were found.When I had the lumpectomy all the tumor was taken out (like yours) I had also clear margins and no lymph nodes were involved.My tumor was grade 1 meaning that even though the cancer was invasive,it was slow growing and the stage 1meaning that the tumor was less then 2 cm,no involvement in the lymph nodes and no sign that the cancer had spread elsewhere in the body(That's why you didn't need Chemo).I am not sure why you want to know which part of the tumor you had  was more IDC than DCIS.The important thing is that the entire tumor you had is GONE now.. and you have clear margins and that it has not spread.After a lumpectomy,the radiation therapy will kill any cancerous cell that might have remained behind during surgery.Like you, I am also taking Arimidex to lessen considerably the chances of having a recurrence or developing a new tumor in either breast.I am sure that your oncologist/Surgeon is checking how you are doing.You have no reason to fear metastasis because you are okay now.Of course when we have experienced cancer in our life,we always worry..but this is why we have to follow the doctor's scheduled orders for mammograms and other tests,including blood work, to make sure that we are keeping healthy..Best wishes to you...
A related discussion, Tamoxifin (tamoxifen) and invasive DCIS was started.