Breast Cancer Community
DCIS with breast implants
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

DCIS with breast implants

I was diagnosed with DCIS of right breast last Oct.  I decided to get a lumpectomy followed with radiation. I had my breast implants replaced in Aug 2008 (I've had the implants for 23 years). Oct 2008 mammogram  shows more DCIS same breast.  My doctor recommends an MRI with most likely another biopsy.  My question is if I have a biopsy can my plastic surgeon remove the implant, general surgeon remove what he can of DCIS and then replace my implant?  Do you feel a Mastectomy is an option?

Sincerely,

Libby47
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
Hi.

If there are multiple foci of DCIS in one breast, I believe the best course of action is to have a skin and nipple sparing mastectomy, then place an implant under the spared skin and nipple.  Individual removal of multiple foci of DCIS is not medically sound and it can really be very difficult for you and your surgeon.

I suggest you discuss this scenario with your surgeon.  You can also ask them about further risk reduction strategies such as taking hormonal treatment (tamoxifen) to decrease the chance of developing invasive cancer in the future.

Regards.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...