Breast Cancer Expert Forum
DCIS with mucocle like tumor

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

DCIS with mucocle like tumor

I recently had  stereotactic biopsy which showed DCIS with mucocele like tumor, subtype cribiform, nuclear grade 1. Comments were DCIS  with adjacent areas of extravasated mucin. Calcifications are seen both in the DCIS as well as in the extravasated mucin. No definete evidence of mucinous carcinoma can be seen. And they recommended re-excsion to rule out mucinous CA.

I think I understand all I can about the DCIS until the lumpectomy. But what can you tell me about 'the mucocle like tumor' and 'Mucinous CA' other than its a good type to have and low grade?  Is it considered invasive? Is the mucocele something that is pre-cancerous? Will it all have to be removed in the lumpectomy?. The only additonal information out there is in the medical studies and I don't understand them. So anything more you can tell me would be appreciated.

mjpsmom
Dear mjpsmom,  A mucocele-like tumor is a benign (non-cancerous) tumor consisting of cysts of mucinous material that have ruptured, leaking secretions into surrounding tissues.  The finding of mucocele-like tumor cells has been associated with findings of DCIS, as well as invasive carcinoma, predominantly mucinous carcinoma.  This is why re-excision of surrounding tissue is done, to be sure of what is involved and whether or not there are any areas of mucinous carcinoma.  Mucinous carcinoma is a rare type of invasive breast cancer.  It has a slightly better prognosis and a slightly lower chance of metastasis than invasive ductal or lobular cancers of the same size.
A mucocoele is a collection of mucus, for any of several reasons. It's not a tumor, so "mucocoele-like tumor" is a strange term. However, the issue would be, as you seem to understand, whether there's a mucinous carcinoma there, causing the mucus. Mucinous carcinoma is generally invasive, but is a much less aggressive form of cancer than the usual breast cancers. So it boils down to this: a stereotactic biopsy is a good, but incomplete sample. In order to explain the mucus, they want to more widely excise the area to determine if there might be mucinous cancer there. A mucocoele, per se, is not harmful nor pre-cancerous. It's about being sure what's going on. If there were mucinous cancer, it would need complete excision.