Breast Cancer Expert Forum
DENT IN BREAST?? (cancer)

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

DENT IN BREAST?? (cancer)

I went for my 1st baseline mammogram last week. I'm 40 years old.  They called a week later to say they see a  small dent in one of my breast's.  I need to come in when the radiologist is there to have another mammogram and maybe an ultrasound.  They have me coming back in about a week.  I'm so worried!  My mom says not to worry as if they were really worried they would have me come in ASAP, not in a week.  Also that since this is my 1st one, they don't know what my normal breast looks like.  But of course i cant stop worrying, and i have at least a week to wait and worry?  What is a dent in the breast and how worried should i be?
Dear MOM67:  Though we cannot be sure, I suspect that you may referring to a density rather than a dent.  It is not uncommon, particularly in a baseline mammogram to find an area of abnormality (or density).  Often these can be tissue that has folded over on itself and will clear with spot compression.  Spot compression is a mammogram that will be focused on the area of concern.  Many of these turn out to be benign but it is important to follow up to be sure.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Dents and spots was started.
A related discussion, breast dent was started.
A related discussion, Parry Romberg's Syndrome and now, Lipodystrophy? was started.