Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Dark brown nipple discharge

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Dark brown nipple discharge

Hi...about a month ago my right breast started hurting. It actually was just around my nipple (my areola) on one side of it. To look at it you could tell nothing was wrong, but when i touched it, it was very tender...almost felt like when you have a sunburn and you touch your skin. Just in the one area. That has lasted most of the month, some days are worse than others. It started the last day of my period last month.Well, last Sunday i was feeling it to see if it still hurt and I squeezed my nipple and a dark, dark brown discharge came out. I mean it almost looked black until I smeared it then it was a dark brown. I know that sounds disgusting.....sorry....That only happened a couple times that day and that has been all. I started my period on the 22nd of this month, and now my breast doesnt hurt at all right now. I went to the Dr. but didn't really get an answer. She said to keep track of the pain for 2 months and come back. She told me to get a mammogram in the meantime. I feel it is an infection or a milk duct clogged. I read something about mammary duct ectasia. I dont know???? I would appreciate any help and advice.

Thank you....
Alli
Dear alli224, Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple. The discharge can come in a variety of colors – gray, green and brown as well as white. Some women are more prone to more discharge including women on; birth control pills, certain blood pressure medications or on major tranquilizers. These medications increase prolactin levels in the body. There is also certain life periods when a person is more likely to get discharge than others: there may be more discharge at puberty and at menopause than the years in-between. The time to worry about nipple discharge is when it’s spontaneous (comes out by itself without squeezing), keeps on happening,is only on one side, and/or if it is clear and sticky, like an egg white, or bloody.

As you have had this checked out, the symptoms have subsided, there is a plan for further evaluation (the mammogram), there is not much more to say.  If your symptoms return or change be sure your doctor is aware so they can be evaluated in context.  Be sure to follow-up on having the mammogram done.