Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Dense Breast Tissue
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Dense Breast Tissue

I was recently told that I have "Dense Breast Tissue."  The nurse left a message that I should let my surgeon know that this is a "5.0 stable nodule, same as last year."  Of course I got this message late on a Friday afternoon. (and did not have a surgeon...) When I contacted my gyn's office the next Monday, I got a little more detal that this had shown up on at least the previous years mammogram and they described it as "dense breast tissue on the upper outer nodule of the left breast."  The nurse then gave me a phone number for a surgeon and said I should contact him. I have not noticed any difference in my left or right breasts and get yearly breast exams at my gyne office.  They also have never mentioned anything.  My questions are:  Why was I not informed before that something showed up on my mammogram in previous years and why wouldn't my gyne speak to me?  What does this type of finding usually mean?  I had a hysterectomy two years ago and am on estrogen replacement.  Thank you