Breast Cancer Community
Dense left breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Dense left breast

I am a 36 year old women who has had three kids. About three days after my period I noticed a distinct difference in my left breast and armpit. It was very lumpy and is now slightly bigger than my right breast. When I was in high school I had some "lumpy" breasts during menstruation but since then I have never had dense breasts. My Gyno sent me to have a mammogram and ultrasound. The mammogram came back negative and the ultrasound tech briefly looked at my left breast during the examination and decided it was dense tissue. This relieved me.  I have a follow up appointment with a breast surgeon. My question is why would I develop this now? Is it common to develop dense tissue in one breast? Is there anything I can do to make it less dense? Nothing has changed in my diet but i am willing to eliminate anything. Thank you in advance for any advice given.
It is not unusual for breast tissue to be asymmetrical (one breast more dense than the other). Sometimes breast tissue can become more prominent during certain times in a menstrual cycle related to hormone fluctuation.
It is very hard to tell at this point if this density is an abnormality or just a natural occurrence.I have read somewhere that too much animal protein intake show higher breast density in women and that drinking white wine can increase density, while red wine can decrease it.I am not sure about that,but perhaps changing your diet might help.
I am certain the Breast Surgeon will advise you if additional views of the breast or perhaps a biopsy might be needed to reach a definitive diagnosis..
Please let us know how things are proceeding,by adding your comment below the answer's you have received.We are here to help you the best way we can.
Wishing you all the best!

Hi there,

Breasts certainly can change in density over time and there is a rather long list as to the reasons why - however, this becomes reduced when the changes only affect one breast.

Most of the causes are benign and include anything from hormonal fluctuations, physical trauma (i.e. Injury to the breast that causes pain and/or bruising) hormone replacement therapy and lymphatic blockage.

Increase in breast density does however, increase the risk of breast cancer so certainly follow up with your breast surgeon and he/she will be able to advise you if further tests are necessary or simple monitoring is in order.

Please be reassured in the fact that this is only a change in density, that you acted quickly in having it checked out and tested and will be in excellent hands with the breast surgeon.

Thank you! I appreciate your information! I will update after my appointment. I  not am extremely worried about cancer now that I have had a mammogram but I want to know how to make it go away!
Unfortunately this isn't something you can make go away if the cause is non-specific.
I believe some studies have been done to see if a change of diet can help, however the results of these have been without evidence.

Depending on what the surgeon finds, if there is a reason for the change in density, he/she will be able to advise from there.

Best wishes