Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Dense nodules in left breast

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Dense nodules in left breast
I had a routine mammogram on Monday and was called yesterday with the results.  I have "a mass of dense nodules in my left breast at the 1:00 position".  I have to say, I'm a little worried.  I was told to get a "compression view and sonogram".  I tried to look up dense nodules and google kept referring me to the breast cancer sites.  Can you PLEASE tell me in laymans terms what dense nodules are?
Dear elacasse:  It is not uncommon to be called back after a screening mammogram to investigate an abnormal finding such as a nodular density.  A nodular density is just a descriptive term for an area that appears more dense on mammogram.  Sometimes the tissue can actually fold over on itself during the mammogram and appear as a density.  When spot compression is done, the area disappears.  Of course, there is no way to be certain that this is the explanation and any abnormality must be further examined in order to determine what additional testing, if any, will need to be done.  
A related discussion, are nodules same as lumps? was started.
A related discussion, Mammogram vs Ultrasound was started.