Breast Cancer Community
Denseness or thickening of the breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Denseness or thickening of the breast

What causes the breast to feel bigger when nothing points to a cancerous tumor. It has been six months and the dense spot has grown from a pea to a lemon in size. It has no definite edges.No blood test or ultrasound has confirmed cancer. How do I approach this??

This discussion is related to thickening of breast wall.
Tags: Breast
Many women have dense breast tissue and there is no particular cause ... sometimes the tissue appears or feels lumpy. This can be due to a hardening of the tissue and this isn't usually of any particular concern except for the fact that it makes it more difficult for Mammogram or Ultrasound to "see" through this thickened tissue. By the way, neither blood test OR Ultrasound can diagnose Cancer. It takes some type of biopsy and a study of the specimen under the microscope to make a diagnosis of Cancer. If I were you, unless you have already, I would make an appointment with a Breast Specialist to investigate this dense area and answer the questions that you surely must have regarding this problem. Regards ....
There are no cancer markers, the ultrasound did not show cancer, the blood test was an AMAS test showing there were no antibodies fighting cancer, I do not want to spead anything with compression and I do not want radiation in my breat.  Thank you for your concern.
As I believe I stated previously there is only ONE way to diagnose cancer of the breast and that is a biospy. There is no reason that you would have radiation unless you were diagnosed with Breast Cancer and had surgery to remove the tumor. I'm not sure why you are even thinking about post surgical treatment when you haven't been diagnosed as having cancer !!  Compression views of the breast will NOT spread cancer if it is present. I'm not sure where you are getting these misinformed ideas regarding Breast Cancer but I think you need to discuss the subject in detail with your own Physician so that you understand completely the diagnostic process. In your case perhaps a BREAST MRI would be of great value as it is a much more sensitive type of imagery and can often "see" thru dense breast tissue when Mammogram and Ultrasound cannot. I stand by my suggestion that you see a Breast Specialist and perhaps he/she can explain better what the dense area in your breast means. Kindest regards ....
Thank you for your interest. I have an appointment for a biopsy.. This seems to be the only way out. Thanks you ...
can't get a biopsy without a mammogram. This is terrible, that you can not have a say as to what happens to your own body. I am sooo mad.
Of course now ..... it would be very poor medical practice to do an invasive procedure without knowing exactuly what one was sampling. I now realize what you meant when you said you did not any radiation to your breast. You know we exposed to radiation everyday by just being out in the world. Many biopsies are done with some type of imagery including  mammogram for guidance during the procedure. I believe you need to revise your thinking process if you truly desire to obtain a definite answer as to the true nature of this dense area found in your breast. I can't really understand how anyone could be mad when they are receiving the best medical care available. Regards .....