Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Dental side effects

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Dental side effects
late in my chemo my teeth started to turn black at the gum line and then narrowed at the gum line. They also  became loose and then break off at the gum line. My Question is what caused this ?My Doctor had heard of this but said it was rare.i have to convince my insurance company that the chemo caused this.Can you help?I now have a mouth full of roots,pain and i am ashame to go out.I only have a small income that barely pays rent.And i can't fine anyone to help with the cost to repair my mouth so i can eat again.I sure hate eating soft foods all the time.i miss apples,nuts and other hard foods.I am very depressed and i don't know what to do.I need some proof for my insurance co.
Dear inez:  In order to get your insurance company to see this as a complication of chemotherapy, your doctor may need to state this on your behalf.  You can obtain the package insert from the specific chemotherapy drugs you were given to see if it is mentioned there.  You might also contact a dentist who is affiliated with a teaching institution who can testify on your behalf, based on examination.