Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Depression and anxiety

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Depression and anxiety

I noticed that I have one inverted nipple, and I haven't had this my whole life.  I looked it up on-line and can only find articles saying it's a symptom of breast cancer. Nobody in my family has ever had breast cancer that I'm aware of.  Definately not any close relatives. I called my doctor to make an appointment for a breast exam and she said she wanted me to have a baseline mammogram before our appointment (which is in 3 days).  I've heard memmogram horror stories - are they painful (I'm very flat chested).  Does the fact that my doctor ordered this test right away mean bad news?
Dear MariAAB: An inverted nipple does not necessarily mean breast cancer.  However, since this is a new finding, it is worthwhile making certain that all is okay.  A baseline mammogram will help the doctor evaluate the breast more completely.  Mammograms are uncomfortable.  Some people find them more painful than others.  The discomfort is short-lived, usually only during the actual compression (not even a minute long).  Breast size does not usually correlate with the amount of pain or discomfort.
Just as a follow-up, I'm 36.
One step at a time.  it is better that she has a mammogram to look at when she sees you.  That would be the next step anyway so why have you wait and worry extra days more than you need to. I have a slightly inverted nipple but have had it my whole life.  I have had mammograms and all are fine. I wish you the best of news and pray that all will work out fine.  Keep us posted.
Thanks for the calming words.  Could anything else cause a recently inverted nipple?
I've had so many mammograms I've lost count. They don't bother me most of the time. On occasion they get the plates a little too tight, but it lasts only a couple of seconds. I wonder if it is larger breasted women and those with painful breasts that have more trouble with painful mammograms. A breast exam alone is not conclusive, that's why it's great that you're going for the mammo before your other appointment so your doctor can make an informed decision about whether the inverted nipple is a problem or not.
My late mother had an inverted nipple, some 20 yrs ago, and showed it to me when visiting - we lived some 400 miles apart.
I took her to my GP and he advised her to get an urgent appt with her GP when she went back home. She had a mammogram and an excisional biopsy, but no cancer found. We didn't have internet access then, and as I was so far away, didn't really get involved, although I went to see her in hospital. She died some 14 yrs later of a stroke, nothing to do with breast cancer, so take heart -an inverted nipple does not always mean cancer.
Good luck with your tests -a mammo is really easy - just a few seconds of pain, but a lifetime of relief if the situation is benign.
Thanks for all of your comments.  I had a breast exam by my MD yesterday.  She found nothing suspicious, other than the inverted nipple.  I then went for my first mamo.  I was really nervous because I heard they were extremely painful, but for me there was no pain.  It didn't bother me in the least bit.  My MD said she is likely going to order an ultrasound after she gets the results of the mamo.  Thank you all for your kinds words and support.  I'll keep you posted.
So glad that things are going well!  Please keep us posted.  I am rooting for you!
Great news and glad you had no pain at the mammo, it is only transitory.
Do make sure you get your MD to get a biopsy done if a lump/tumour shows on the mammo or ultrasound. My Mum had a biopsy done for her inverted nipple, and all was clear for bc, but we would not rested otherwise.
Take care and have a happy Christmas.
Liz.
Hi!  I'm a 42 year old woman who had a first mammogram 2 weeks ago and was referred to a 'breast clinic' due to some microcalcifications.  I spent the today(monday 15 jan) at the clinic and was given an exam and an ultrasound.  I am scheduled for a stereotactic biopsy on Friday Jan 19 for a suspicious area on the right breast.  I did not hear about a birad rating and don't know if it's because Canadians do not use them.  Does anyone know for a fact whether Canadians refer to birad ratings?   The doctor did say that I had a 30% chance of these being precancerous cells.  This does not sound like what I have been reading here.  I read here that 80% of microcalcifications turn out to be nothing.  Where does my doctor get the 30%?  I'm sorry if I sound upset but I have 2 little ones aged 2 and 5 and I just lost a friend to Breast Cancer which, after a mastectomy, and chemo, metastasised to the meninges of the brain.  She left behind a 3 year old daughter.  I'm so scared. I'm feeling tingling and pain in my breasts but I don't know if it's just my anxiety.  I have no oozing nipples, no red patches, no dimpling, and there is no history in my family and yet, the fear is burning me up.  I'm going to go watch my sleeping kids and try again to sleep myself.  Good night and good luck.
News of suspicious findings upsets all of us. We are worriers by nature. Keep in mind that if your calcifications were to be cancerous it's typically a small and early cancer that can be treated. But, the chances of it being benign are much greater than it being cancer. Everyone seems to quote statistics in different ways. I have read in numerous places that 80% of calcifications are benign. 70% isn't that great a difference, and it's possible they categorize biopsies differently in Canada. Try to focus on the fact that there's a great chance you'll come through this with benign results. I'll keep you in my prayers.