Detectable blood flow in a breast mass
Hello.  I am a healthy 40 year old woman who had a screening mammo which showed a small density.  F/U ultrasound showed a 6mmX3mmX6mm mass that looks like a fibroadenoma.  However, it had a blood vessel that coursed directly through it.  Based on the size of the "red streak" on the doppler, I estimate the diameter of the vessel to be about 1/2 of a mm.  I am scheduled for a core needle biopsy in 2 weeks.  My question is this:  Does the presence of detectable blood flow increase the chance that this lesion is malignant?  My research on the internet gives contradictory information.
Dear Marci_s, Increased blood flow may be a more suspicious finding but not necessarily indicative of malignancy there are certain types of benign (non-malignant) tumors that have an increased blood flow as a characteristic feature examples being hemangioma, angiolipoma.  Further evaluation - the biopsy will be needed to say for sure what this mass actually is.  
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.