Breast Cancer Community
Difference between Digital and Film with Dense breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I am 43. Last year I was called back for more pictures on one breast. They told me the breast was dense and the compression pictures were fine. Recently, I switched to digital and gave them all of my old films. I was called back again for more pictures, same breast, and this time had an ultrasound. The doctor said he wasn't worried but that there was a change from last year and that he wanted to do another mammo in 6 months. I am afraid I am going to worry for 6 months. I am unsure if my insurance will cover a mri but I was going to ask my doctor about it. The technician mentioned that sometimes when you switch to digital that is enough of a change for the doctor to flag it. I'm sick with worry. What do you think?
1 Comment
I think I would follow the recommendation of the Radiologist and have a re-check in 6 months. If something additional would have been deemed necessary it would have been ordered. 6 month re-checks are not at all unusual and are used to track any changes that may occur during this time. Dense breast tissue needs to be checked more frequently at times as it is more difficult to "see thru". There are requirements for ordering a Breast MRI and I doubt if you meet them or one might have been recommended at the time.    Regards ....