Breast Cancer Community
Dimpling/Indentation after Lymph Node Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

A month ago i had a lymph node removed from my left armpit which was 2" in diameter - pathology came back clean - however now i have two indentions (dimples) which run from below the incision area towards my nipple and just below the nipple - this was never there before - is this a by-product of the removal of such a large lymph node and of no concern or should i contact my BC and get his opinion - my breast seems to be a bit larger than it was before the surgery as well.

Also, is HER2+ cancer hereditary?
If you noticed an indentation/dimple in your breast,I would advise you to see your doctor for evaluation,because the formation of a lump can sometimes pull the skin into the breast causing the dimple.Dimpling can certainly occur from benign causes, but without evaluation it's impossible to speculate on what is causing it.Your doctor can order an Ultrasound test to know exactly what's going on.Any changes that occur in the breast should never be ignored.
From what I know,the HER2 positive or negative status is not passed down from your parents, and you can't pass it on to your children.However The BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 gene test is hereditary "if positive".
Please consult your doctor to see if you need to see a Genetic counselor,since you have a strong family history of breast Cancer and to check the indentations in your breast okay?.
I really hope there is nothing there,but it's better to be safe than sorry.
All the best.
thank you Zouzi - I thought perhaps because i had such a large node removed it had caused some deformity in the area....plus i have an irratiting itch to my nipple and breast at times...  but my breast just looks/feels different than it has in the past couple days... it appears to be "swelling" not much but enough for me to notice... my breast have always been so uniform in shape/size up util about 5-6yrs ago when this breast swelled to be 2x bigger - was told it was just a "hormonal cycst" and not to worry...and i have dense tissue - so when i do mammo's - screen is nothing but white....

I will give my BC a call and see if he thinks this is just because of the node removal or something else
i called my BC and the nurse has advised i watch the breast dimpling/indentation for 6 months and give the scar tissue time to heal - if it continues to get worse or if it does not disappear in that time frame then i am to call back for an evaluation.

Again thank you Zouzi for your reply
You're welcome.
Very wise decision,but I think it would be better to visit your doctor (rather than just call) for a clinical breast exam and some type of testing especially because you have dense breasts and you are noticing some swelling.
Take care now...
Hi!!
Last mo I  had a surgical biopsy & it came back clear Thank God!! I have a hard type lump which I never had a lump before. It was calcification, when I went for my follow up she said it was a water pocket & it will eventually go away. My concern is when it goes away, will I have a big dent in the side of my breast? Any response will be appreciated!!
Lori
Hi Lori.
A seroma is a build-up of clear  fluids in the breast where tissue has been removed by surgery.This is the most frequent postoperative complication. Most seromas are reabsorbed back into your body in about a month, but it some cases it can take up to a year.
An indentation could be noticed, depending on how much tissue was removed from your breast.If it does,a plastic surgeon is the right professional to talk to if you  have any concerns over the cosmetic aspect of your breast.
Best wishes
I really appreciate all your answers...Thank you so much! My sister has gone through the same thing I have, different Dr & even though it's too late to change what I had done, wishing I would of gotten a second opinion. She had the 2 mammograms as I did, showed calcification & her Dr then ordered a MRI. My outcome was needle biopsy & then surgical biopsy, no MRI was even mentioned. Now they are doing mammograms every 6 mo's on her for 2 yrs & then yearly if no change. Her Dr said she felt it was genetic. I'm just second guessing myself. A little too late.