Breast Cancer Community
Do Calcifications show up on a Breast MRI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Hello Everyone,
I hope someone can help me understand the results of my Breast MRI. Two weeks ago I had a MRI. I thought I had a lump growing in my right breast. I was recently put on HRT. The MRI showed nothing suspicious in that breast, just the usual fibros and lots of cysts. But, it did show what was described as a cluster of star dust in in a starburst pattern in the left breast. What could this be if calcifications do not show up on a MRI? Should I be concerned or is a false positive? I am scheduled for another Mammogram and US of the left breast later this week. I would be thankful for anyones help.

Thanks,
De
With contrast, MRI can show some calcifications but these are best demonstrated by Mammogram. Did you have a mammogram before your MRI ? If not I find it very odd as MRI is usually done only after mammo and Ultrasound. Even though MRI can show some things more clearly, it is most often used in conjunction with the other breast tests. Keep in mind that calcifications do NOT always mean cancer and only some type of biopsy can differentiate between malignant and benign.  Regards ....
Hi De,

I had my very first mammogram at the end of last year.  Lik you, I was told I have a cluster of calcifications.  It is definitely not a given that all calcifications are cancer.  In my case it was.  I had a stereotactic core biopsy to determine.

Good that you are having a mammogram (was this not done first?).  The mammogram will help determine if it is calcifications or not....that the MRI picked up.

What about that lump in the other breast????

I hope good news comes your way!
Janice
Thank you for your answers to my question.

I had a Mammogram and US six months ago. But, They were mainly looking at the right breast. I have very dense breasts and I had felt a new lump. It turned out to be more fibros. Since I started taking the HRT and the lumps are bigger my Dr. recommended an MRI.  The MRI with contrast and CAD. showed nothing suspicious in the right breast. But, it did show the questionable area in the left.
I did not think a MRI would show calcifications. That is why I  was confused with the descriptions from the Dr. office.
I'm curious about your being put on HRT ... this is rarely recommended today as it has been proven to increase the incidence of breast cancer by several studies. I hope you are on the lowest possible dose and that it will be for short term only.
I had the Mammogram and ultrasound today. Nothing suspicious showed up. I did get a clarification on what the MRI showed. A narrow stellate density about 7 mm long. The birad from the MRI was a 4. I will have a MRI guided biopsy of this area.
I do not know what to think. If the Mamo and US do not show anything suspicious, is that an indicator that the MRI results were probably a false positive?
I suppose this could be a false positive but MRI does show an enhanced image of the breast tissue. Proceeding with the biopsy is the best thing to do now to be sure. Especially in cases of very dense breast tissue, MRI does pick up things that aren't visible by either Mammogram or Ultrasound. Good luck with your biopsy ...  
A related discussion, What is MRI guided biopsy was started.