Do Fibroadenomas go away? Should they be removed if even benign?
I am booked in to have a breast biopsy in a week.
After an ultrasound and a talk to my doctor, they have discovered I most likely (not 100% yet) have a Fibroadenoma with vascularity.
If this proves to be benign, do they go away and / or is this something that needs to be operated on to be taken out? Given the fact that is has vascularity - food for growing? Or is it possible this would eventually shrink and go away?
If its proven to be benign, will it forever stay benign or possibly and eventually change into something more harmless?
At this stage it only feels to be around the size of a pea and is not bothering me, only mentally a little! My doctor didn't seem overly concerned either. The 2nd option was for me to wait 6 months and have another ultrasound but I've chosen to go with the biopsy for peace of mind and to confirm what they only think it is at this stage.
My main concern and question at this stage is if it should be taken out regardless of the test results outcome.
I must add that this lump only feels to be around the size of a pea at this stage, nothing overly large. That's why I don't know if it should just stay on a bit longer if the biopsy results read Benign.
I am interested in this too. I just had my biopsy, I get my results next week, possible fibroadenoma or small invasive carcinoma per MRI report} and  dr said he feels it is 75% benign. Well if it is does it stay in ? I am having pain  are you?  Good question.I will ask my dr next week when I get my results.
Bonnie
I'm not having any pain. I think they say the benign ones are the ones that hurt - but don't quote me on that. Maybe someone else around here knows?!....
I've now found out that my lump is confirmed as a benign 1cm fibroademona, with vascularity. I'm wondering if this should just be left or taken out anyway? I am only 24 and realise the possibility of more fibroadenomas appearing and that I can't really keep getting them removed. I'm wondering if I should just leave it there, will it always stay benign? Just wondering also if how big this may get, having blood supply? Also wondering if I am at any threat later when I breast feed etc, if this will somehow grow and possibly entwine itself around things that it shouldn't....
I have a painful benign fibroadenoma. I am 33 yrs old and had a Mirena IUD inserted 18 months ago. Thinking it might be related? Anyone else think Mirena may be to blame?

I'm also 33 year old mother of 2 kids and also I have Mirena IUD for past 4 years. Recently I too got the Fibroadenoma which is very painful. I asked my OBGYN about IUD and painful FIbroadenoma. She said there is a possibility.

By the way I did excision biopsy to rule out the suspicion.
I got my results and mine was "inconclusive" but supposedly benign. It was not a fibroidadenoma though. They told me at 1st to come back for an MRI in 6 months then when the NP called to find out how I was doing, she told me to come back {call for an MRI appt} in 3 months as the RAd Drs weren't too sure about the outcome. I could go for a 2nd opinion, I said no duh! I already have my appt scheduled. HaHa.
well, good news on mine - after a biopsy, confirmed tumor is benign fibroadenoma. It can just stay there now apparently.,
I am 7 1/2 months pregnant and 3 weeks ago I found a small lump, pea size I would say.  When seen by my OBGYN they thought it was about 1cm and ordered a US.  I felt like it was getting bigger over the week, and then on US it came up 3cm and vascularity was present.  They are calling it a fibroadenoma and saying it appears to be benign.  Due to the size and location I just want it out.  It is under my nipple, and seems like it is getting bigger.  I have an apt to see a surgeon regarding this.  I am concerned that leaving it there could result in blocking my milk I am planning on nursing, and was wondering if anyone had experieced this blocking there milk.