Breast Cancer Community
Do I need chemo?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Do I need chemo?

I have early stage cancer of left breast.Size 2.3 cm with clear margins of 8mm
Estrogen positive, Her2 negative, No cancer in lymph nodes
I am happy to have radiation and  drug therapy, but I really do not want chemo. What is my risk if I do not have the chemo?
All I know is that any primary breast tumor,measuring more than 1 cm,would  benefit from receiving adjuvant chemotherapy,because it would decrease the likelihood of the cancer recurring or spreading.
I surely understand your apprehensions about the chemo side effects,but since I am not a doctor, I really cannot comment whether you should have Chemo or not.Please do discuss the benefits with your Oncologist and ask him/her directly why he/she is recommending it. You could also seek a second opinion from a different oncologist so you can make the right decision for yourself.
There is a test called Oncotype DX screening test. This will help doctors figure out a woman’s risk of early-stage, estrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer coming back (recurrence), as well as how likely she is to benefit from chemotherapy after breast cancer surgery.Please read the information I added for you.

"The Oncotype DX screening test is performed on each tumor sample to get the Recurrence Score. The Oncotype DX test scores the breast tumor on 21 different genes involved in breast cancer and gives a Recurrence Score, or a number between zero and 100 that shows the chance of the breast cancer returning within 10 years of the original diagnosis.
The Recurrence Score is then categorized into one of three groups: low, intermediate, or high risk. For example, if a tumor has a Recurrence Score over 31, a high-risk score, this means there's a greater chance that the breast cancer will return. If a tumor gets a Recurrence Score of 18 or less, a low-risk score, this signals a lower chance that the breast cancer will return. If the Recurrence Score is 19 to 30 then the recurrence risk is intermediate."

The best of luck with your decision and future treatments.
I would like to add,that the information regarding the Oncotype DX test,was kindly provided previously by "Bluebutterfly2222"to a different poster.
Thank you. I am having the oncotype test and will wait to see what the results are , and try not to agonize meanwhile! Thanks again.
Wait for you latest test results and then discuss the situation with whoever is treating you - oncologist or surgeon?
It may be that they recommend a course of oral treatment such as Femara to help contain the tumor and / or a lumpectomy to remove it followed by radiation therapy or something else. It doesn't automatically follow that chemo will be deemed the best treatment. You have to be guided by the medical specialists. If you aren't sure or feel uncomfortable with whatever advice you are given, get a second opinion. The majority of doctors (if they are good) are quite happy for you to do this.
Don't jump the fence before you get to it - take it a step at a time. Main thing it's been discovered early and has clear margins and no lymphatic involvement. Stay positive, all will turn out OK.