Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Do breast calcifications ever go away

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Do breast calcifications ever go away
Last year my annual mammogram showed "probably benign" calicifications.  After additinal views were taken, they told me to just come back in a year for my regular mammo.

This year, they told me my mammogram was negative/normal.  They made no mention of calcifications at all and I was so happy to hear that all was wel that I did not ask.

Do calcifications ever go away on their own?  Or could it be that they are just unchanged from last year?

Thank you,

Jane
Dear Jane:  It is technically possible, though not common, for calcifications to resolve.  However, the report you received may simply mean that there is no change from last year.  You should ask your doctor to clarify for you.
Try and get a copy of the actual report. Then you will have a better idea of what is going on inside your breast.
Yes, I have requested a copy of the report.  I'd like to know what it says too.

Thanks.
A related discussion, Begnin polyp was started.