Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Does "Increased blood flow to lesion" mean higher chance of m...
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Does "Increased blood flow to lesion" mean higher chance of malignancy?

Hi - I am a 40 yr. old w/no family history of breast cancer, only colon cancer.  I had a breast reduction & lift 5 yrs ago and immediately post-op contracted a staph infection in my left breast.  An area of hard tissue developed, and remained unchanged to the touch until I discovered what felt like a small, sharper lump on top of it in late Aug 2008.  Mammos & ultrasound followed in Oct., then indentation appeared just under lump I felt, then biopsy in Nov., which came back fat necrosis, although they didn't exactly get area I felt. Then rcvd word that biopsy may not be okay, so a steriotactic biopsy was performed in Dec 2008 which went deeper (still not lump I felt) and came back as fat necrosis.  After both biopsies, indentation virtually non-existent.  Follow-up mammo & ultrasound 5/19/09 follow-up mammo showed dense area w/cluster of microcalcifications, ultrasound showed "change" to area.  MRI in early june (w/in 10 days of start of my cycle) showed area that "lit up the screen" w/increased blood flow to lesion - all tests coincided w/area I originally felt.  Just had biopsy on Monday and awaiting results.  My question is if the area with increased blood flow is not malignant, what else could it be?  Someone told me they had a fibroedema(sp?) that showed increased blood flow, but from description doesn't sound like what I have.

Any info you have would be most appreciated!

Thank you!