Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Dose dense A/C before Herceptin

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Dose dense A/C before Herceptin

I am 29 yrs old dx with IDU. 9-11cm tumor. Her2-postive. STage 3 grade 3- I am now doing A/C 3 weeks apart.  The tumor shrunk in half after the 1st treatment.  But I think that it grows and becomes harder during my "down" week.  I asked if I could do a dose dense- (I have not been ill from chemo)-  he said no because where I am going to do Herceptin, the studies done with Herceptin are based on chemo every 3 weeks.  Where are the studies that say this?  I have talked so some younger women who have had dd with Herceptin, is this part of a trial?  Do you have any info or know where I can find some info on these studies?
Thank you in advance for your response
Dear mum2jmb:  The studies your doctor is referring to would be published in medical journals.  When much of the initial work on herceptin was done, it was done using the then standard of care (every 3 week chemotherapy).  The research on dose dense therapy had not been published.  The interpretation of data in the strictest sense will apply to the actual way the original research was conducted.  In other words, though dose dense therapy has now been shown to have some advantages over every three week therapy in high risk women.  There is no research data to support that the outcome of dose dense therapy plus herceptin will be superior to the every 3 week therapy plus herceptin.  Some physicians may make this assumption, however, and use this protocol.
I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. In case you haven't seen the website, www.youngsurvival.org, it is a place for young women who have breast cancer to support each other. I can't say we like accepting new members but if we can help you through this time in your life, we would be glad to. Praying the best for you, Maureen
I did dose dense chemo, ACx4 & Tx4 and now I am finishing up my one year of Herceptin.  All of the women in my support group who were Her2+++ (5 of us) did the dose dense and then Herceptin.  

Karen
Hi  Just wanted to ask if the chemo was done every two weeks or three weeks?  I start Taxol and Herceptin tomorrow, I just finished 4 sessions of AC chemo.  Wonder why some are done every three weeks and mine are every other week.  Thank you any info is appreciated.  PattK