Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Drainage Tube -- Why not dry out after a month?
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Drainage Tube -- Why not dry out after a month?

Hi, All,

I am new to this discussion group. I am posting this message for my mom and she don't speak English.

My mom who is 66 years old and was recently diagnosed with Breast Cancer and it is very devastating for my husband and me. Her cancer stage is Stage II(b). The doctor performed mastectomy at August 13th for her, which took out her whole left breast and 28 limp nodes. She had three chemos so far. The problem buffers us is, normally the drainage tube stays after the surgery only for a couple weeks for most people and will be taken out once the fluid from the wounds is drained out. However, for my mom, up to today, more than a month later, she still have too much fluid come out from the drainage tube therefore the Dr. could not remove the tube. I am very concerned,  I don't know is that an indication that the surgery is not so successful or an indication of her body is not recovering/have some sort infection? Does any one experience the similar situation? Is there anything we/Dr. can do to help the fluid drain out quicker?

Any inputs and ideas very be greatly appreciated!

Lily