Breast Cancer Community
Draining hematoma after breast biopsy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Draining hematoma after breast biopsy

Three weeks ago, I had bilateral breast biopsy's done.  My right breast also had a lump removed and I had a skin punch on my right nipple. However, it was my left breast that had the problems.  An internal scab had fallen off a capillary and I started to bleed inside of my left breast.  My breast swelled to the size of a football and my incision between my nipple and skin had separated.  A second surgery was needed and the Dr. removed 300cc's of blood.  Now, twelve days after my surgery, I'm folding laundry and I feel my bra is wet.  I look down and I have brownish liquid draining very slowly from my steri- strips, again where my nipple meets my skin.  I never came home with a drain.  I am VERY worried I will need a third surgery. I contacted my Dr. and she told me it was just a draining hematoma.  How long should I expect this and when should I consider calling her back.  Anyone had this happen to them?  If so, please respond.  Is it likely that I will bleed internally again?  Help!!!!
Tags: drainage