Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Eczema or Paget Carcinoma

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Eczema or Paget Carcinoma
Ten days ago a red and very itchy spot appeared on the areola of my left breast. It looked and felt like a bee sting. I went to see a dermatologist who diagnosed eczema and gave me cortisone. Using the salve, the  itching stopped quite immediately, yet the skin still looks thicker than normal. Woudn't a skin problem have disappeared after a week ? I am worried about having a Paget carcinoma, since I read that this special form of breast cancer is often mistaken for an eczema and appears on one breast only. How can I differentiate between Paget and eczema? Thank you for your time.
Dear tide:  Time will differentiate between the two.  If it is eczema, it may be helpful to attempt to identify if something is a trigger for this (new bra?, new detergent? new soap, perfume?).  Give it a bit more time to heal totally.  Breasts stay pretty covered up so it may take more than a week to heal.  Paget's disease is uncommon.  If this is still there in two more weeks, consider having it looked at again.
Having had eczema for 23 years, I can tell you the patches that flare up under clothes (breasts, stomac, legs) - are ongoing -- with patches lasting for months, on occasion.  It is controllable -- but cannot be cured.