Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Ever heard of this?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Ever heard of this?

Hello, and thank you for your site.  It is really appreciated!

I had CT scans  and bone scans, mammogram and lab work all done last week,  one year from my mastectomy.  All came out negative, but I was asked to get another CT scan yesterday ,  specifically on pancreas.    I received the paper report back yesterday also, and this is what it said:

"The body of the pancreas is enlarged approximately twice the thickness of the tail and head of the pancreas...no calcification seen in the pancreas.  The enhancement of the enlarged portion of the pancreas is homogenous and there is no focal mass within it,  There is no pancreatic ductal dilatation or common duct dialation.  The rest of the pancreas is relatively normal.  No adjacent adenopathy, fluid collection , or inflammatory changes are seen.
IMPRESSION:  Enlarged portion of the body of the pancreas without any definable mass or inflammation,  This probably needs to be followed in two to three months with a repeat CT of the pancreas to establish stability."

Is this connected in any way with my breast cancer?  What does all this mean?
Dear seven7, I do not think this is connected to the breast cancer.  Have you had a ct scan of the abdomen before?  If so perhaps the scans could be compared to see if there has been a change.  Other than that there is not much more I can say, this finding needs to be put in context of any symptoms you are experiencing, blood tests etc, which your doctor would need to discuss with you.
CT scan was compared with the one  had last year April 21, after the mastectomy,  and then to the one I had one week ago.
the description is non-specific; that is, it simply says there's a larger than normal part of the pancreas but it doesn't have the typical characteristics of tumor or of pancreatic inflammation or other disease. So they suggest repeating the scan in a while to be sure it isn't changing. If it were more suspicious, they'd be recommending some other sort of procedure for a biopsy. It sounds innocent. But it needs followup to be sure.