Breast Cancer Community
Excision of breast mass.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Excision of breast mass.

I have had 2 biopsies on the right breast within six months of each other and I was wondering if anyone else has ever decided to just have the mass totally excised for peace of mind.  I have my mammogram/ultrasound in October and I'm thinking of requesting to have it excised.  Any thoughts no this?
aeorbics22
I see no reason why you couldn't have this area excised if it continues to be a problem. After your upcoming tests, take your films and consult a Surgeon and explain your problem. This is done fairly often when adenomas are involved or other cysts that become painful or otherwise bothersome.   Regards ...
I agree with japdip. I have had several excisional biopsies in the past for what turned out to be benign fibroadenomas, because the lumps were changing and growing. It has given me great peace of mind...

Each one of us must make informed decisions about biopsies & excisions based on MD input, family history, and our own gut feeling.

Best of luck! Let us know what you decide.
If the tumors are benign, and relatively small, have you considered cryoablation instead of excision? I have been researching cryoablation, however, since my fibroadenoma is rather large, it appears I am not a candidate.
Thank-you for the info, I had uterine cryoablation 7/25 and that went well, I'm still awaiting the monthly results but they told me it could take up to 6 mths to reduce my menstrual length.  I'm going to look into the cryoablation and have the info ready when I go in October for my mammo/ultrasound.  Have a good one.
I have had a mammogram, sonogram, and breast mri and all were negative, but my doctor wants to 'excise' the lump anyway.  Have you ever heard of this?  Also, what are the details of excising a lump?
The tests you indicated can point toward the liklihood of a possible cancer, but only a biopsy will tell you for sure that it is benign.  If the lump is small, some doctors will remove the entire lump and then have it biopsied, others have needle or core biospies done.  My doctor offered me a choice.Your doctor's definition of "excising" might be a bit different so you should validate with him\her.
In any case, good luck and I hope you'll have good news to share with us soon.