Exercise after a double mastectomy
Hi I'm new, this is Stepaheda,
I am going into my 5 week after my surgery, and my doctor has given me the go ahead to do more, and more exercises. My question is has anyone out there used the mini trampoline alone with their streching exercises. The streching helps a lot, but I also have use the trampoline in the pass and it to has helped with strenghening the core muscles. But since this is all new for me, I would like to hear from anyone who may have used this in their exercise routine.
Thank you for listening, Have a great week.
Stepaheda

This discussion is related to exercise after breast reconstruction.
Hi there.

I believe that using a trampoline at this stage of your healing process may still push your muscles, skin and tissues too hard.  Stretching exercises are fine to maintain the elasticity of the skin overlying the breasts.  There are specific stepwise exercises that are appropriate for post-mastectomy patients, and this should be supervised by a physical therapist or a rehabilitation medicine specialist in order not to overdo things.

Regards and God bless.
I certainly agree with Paul; and I'm speaking from personal experience. There are many exercises you can do to strengthen the core muscles that don't involve jumping .... even on the mini tramp. The jumping is pretty harsh on the muscles and tissues that haven't healed from you surgery as yet. At this point I would be more concerned about stretching and attaining full range of motion than my core muscles. Take it easy girl; your core will wait.
Thank you for your comments on the mini trampoline. I understand, and I will keep working on the stretching exercises. I guess I am just a little bit impatience wanting to get things back to normal as I can. I suppose I'm feeling like I should be doing more, since I am not having to have any other treatment (radiation or chemo). I feel like a caged animal, not able to drive yet. The doctor just told me on my last visit that I could take short trips in driving. I also feel bad for complaining, when so many others have much more to deal with on a daily basic. My daughter keep telling just sit down some where and rest. I know she is right but it is so hard for me, you can only read and watch HGTV so long.
Thank you again for listening, you were very Helpful!!!!
Stepaheda
I don't agree with your daughter either ..... you shouldn't be sitting down, resting all the time. That would drive me nuts !!! How about a good long walk .... excellent exercise. Do you have a big exercise ball ?? There are several good ones for core strength using the ball. I had a spinal fusion a couple years after the breast cancer surgery and do core exercises daily but I Don't JUMP ! Just kidding you but that is pretty harsh on tissues that haven't yet healed completely. Happy stretching .....
Thank's japdip,
I'll look into getting the ball, and longer walks. You are right the sitting around is driving me crazy.
Stepaheda