Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Extrarenal pelvis

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Extrarenal pelvis

I completed treated for Stage 3 breast cancer last June.  A recent CT scan (routine) didn't show any mets but did say
"incidental note is made of small bilateral extrarenal pelvises." My onc. didn't mention it, so I assume it may be insignificant, but am wondering what this means and if I need to be concerned.

Thank you.
Dear ps131:  Our expertise is in breast cancer but a simple definition of extrarenal pelvis is that it is a normal anatomic variant that can be confused with problems such as hydronephrosis.  It is nothing to be concerned about based on the information you provided.
It means the part of the kidney where urine collects before passing to the bladder (the part is called the renal pelvis) is outside the body of the kidney, instead of within it as it more commonly is. It's not of any significance.