Breast Cancer Community
Extremely painful mammogram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Extremely painful mammogram

In August of 2007 I had a routine mammogram.  I find these very painful and the pain does not go away after the test.  In this instance the left side was especially painful so I did not allow full compression.  

The report said I had mixed fatty and fibroglandular tissue (I'm post menopausal and have been for 8 years)   It also said there is nodular density in the left retroareolar area and left outer breast with several well circumscribed probably begnign nodules.  I got the old films, took them to a different doctor (breast specialist) who said there was nothing abnormal but he wants to see me in 6 months.  

Ok, it's 6 months and I do not want a compression study.  As I said earlier, the pain (which is horrendous) does not end after the test.  I do not like the staff at all - rude and lower class.  The doctor though was much better.  

So, how do I have a mammogram (I believe it's the left breast) without being miserable for 2 weeks or more afterward.  I do have fibromyalgia and arthritis but don't know that that has anything to do with it.  I really don't want the mammogram.  There must be something to do to minimize or avoid that kind of pain.  I'm thinking about walking out ....   I have a background in healthcare so this is not a case of ignorance.  I told the gyno that she would have to call in a board certified anesthesiologist which of course she won't do.  But, she's not the one who is being tortured to satisfy someone else's ego.  

Too bad that you find the mammogram so painful. They usually aren't although they are far from comfortable. The digital type which are being done in many institutions are much less uncomfortable. You might inquire if the Digital Mammogram is available at some institution in your area.
One more suggestion; Breast MRI is also an available exam or possibly an Ultrasound. You might ask your Physician about these.

You could talk to your doctor if a routine mammogram rather than a compression mammogram would be good enough? You could also talk to your doctor about getting an MRI done instead.

Otherwise, discuus about taking pain relief medications before and after the procedure to help with your symptoms. Your doctor should readily prescribe you some or you could take some OTC pain relief medications.

You could either talk to the doctor about the staff being un-cooperative or changing your mammogram centre to somewhere you could get a more cordial response. The pain could be more in your case due to the fibromyalgia too.

Getting repeat periodic mammograms is very important in your case and you will have to find some solution to this in discussion with your doctor.

Let us know if you have any more doubts.

Hope this helps.

Regards.
sorry to hear that.  My 1st two mamographies weren't bad, just unconfortable.  But I went for a 3rd yeserday & it hurt like hell!  Still hurts now.  The nurse told me anytime you have a mamography you should take Tylenol about an hour before - of course it won't releive the pain totally, but it will take some of the edge off.

Take care of yourself.

Have you talked to your doctor as yet? When are you scheduled for your mammogram now?

Let us know how you are doing and how does the procedure go? Also do not forget to ask the lab for a copy of the report.

Keep us posted.

Regards.